Sunday, March 6, 2011

Custom Work


Photo of a Laguna Agate Cabochon

I originally started cutting stones for my own jewelry designs. I could never find exactly what I wanted when shopping for cabochons. It seemed to me cutting stones would be a simple job with not much to it. Boy was I wrong! Pretty soon I found myself using all of my time trying to perfect my stone cutting, and I didn’t have any time left for creating jewelry designs.

It didn’t take me much longer to realize I enjoy cutting the stones more than I ever enjoyed creating jewelry. Now that’s really all I do, and my FAVORITE part is seeing what other artists create with my stones.

It’s because of all of this that I also really enjoy custom work. I offer two different custom work services. The first is for when you may see a stone in my shop, but it’s not quite the correct size or shape. I almost always set aside rough of every material for custom work. If you find yourself in this situation, you’re more than welcome to send me a convo! At this point I will cut the stone and send you photos for approval once it’s done. You are never obligated to any stone! If you’re not happy, I can try again.

The second type of custom work I do is from your personal rock collection. Maybe you have a stone you’ve held onto since you were a kid, or maybe you just picked up a slab at a gem show. You can send your rough stone to me along with a sketch of how you would like it cut, and I will cut it for you. We charge a flat fee per cabochon and you can convo me through etsy for more details.

The custom work I have done in the past has always been so exciting for me. There is something special about being included in an artists vision!

1 comment:

  1. I for one can attest that Laura has more than gone the extra mile to custom cut cabs for me and has even hunted through her stash to re-cut a custom stone that I damaged. She'll work with a less than perfect description of what you want- since I'm bad at drawing anything- and I have never been unhappy with her results. Beautiful work and a real pleasure to work with.

    ReplyDelete