Friday, April 23, 2010

Do You Love What You Do?

I was listing some new stones this afternoon, and it occurred to me I don't really have a favorite. I get as excited as a kid on Christmas with each and every one. Anything I have cut that I have not liked has ended up in a bowl on my desk. It seems to me that if I don't love it, why should anyone else?

When a jeweler looks at my pieces online, I want them to feel the same thrill I do looking at the amazing beauty we can all find in nature. My motivation when I cut is wondering what my piece may inspire and draw out of others.

I think this is what makes an artist an artist, the passion and excitement we feel about our own work. When I make a sale, the most exciting part to me is later when I see what someone else has created with it. Because my work is technically a supply for other other jewelers, my work is now in such a variety of pieces across the world. And everyone's style is so exciting! Some stones I will never see where they ended up and what they became, and there are a few I will probably always wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment